Marj, in my humble opinion, having to use subscription-based software (i.e. Creative Cloud) is inevitable. You could postpone it for a little while if you like, but I'm presuming that eventually a subscription will be the only option. I think software by monthly subscription is actually a great idea because I don't like to pay for upgrades which mean that I skip versions which leads to a steeper learning curve when I finally do upgrade. It's the amount of Adobe's monthly fee that I find frustrating.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Waterloo, Ontario