I have been using LaCie desk top drives for my Mac for many years, never a problem, phone customer support is excellent!  When I started school, bought a LaCie Rugged, use at school and with laptop - fabulous.  Definitely need to set up a RAID.  I use the Mac "Time Machine” with a LaCie 1TB; backs me up hourly.  At this time, this works for me.  Have two APC battery backups.

Best,  “OC” Carlisle