I'm clear how you are trying to re-size partitions.

First of all, you cannot adjust partitions with data on the drives. You'd have to wipe the drive completely, and then reset your partition(s). I don't know that you can specifically set the size of a partition, but you can choose the number of partitions for a particular drive. But this must be done at the initial set up.

If you want to keep the old Time Machine backups, unplug the drive and plug in a different drive. Keep the old drive as an archive, and set up the Time Machine for the new drive.

As for drives… I cannot stand Western Digital, though they are popular and generally cheap. I usually use LaCie, and they've been reliable, except for one drive (and I suspect it overheated over time because I had it mounted extremely close to another drive; I suspect it didn't cool sufficiently although it did take years for the drive to fail).