Thank you Karen. This is most helpful. With good reasoning.
I'm trying to keep my backups current and successfully.
I know the RAID systems have been wise.

Thanks so much,
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538

On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Karen Ackoff wrote:

I don't backup to the cloud. For several reasons… 1) I don't have enough space on the cloud to back up my entire hard drive. 2) For security reasons; I keep tax records, receipts, etc. on my computer, and I don't want these on the cloud, regardless of security claims. I'm just not that trusting yet. I'm referring to the Apple Cloud, in regard to amount of storage space.

I did query carbonite… and that is an option, I suppose. You can backup your hard drive, but you cannot back up any external hard drives if you use a Mac.

Also, I only have access to DSL where I live, and it would literally take months for the first backup as upload speeds are slow.

I'm hoping my internet upload speeds improve over time, and cloud options also improve and are affordable. But for now, I keep things at home.

I did recently set up a RAID array (from scratch; I did not purchase an already configured RAID). I bought two 4 TB drives and set them up as a mirror RAID. It is a big improvement over the 9 (!) external hard drives that I had previously. It was just too many wires and too many plugs and not enough receptacles. The only downside, is that the RAID takes about 20-30 seconds to spin up if it is in a sleep mode. But other than that, it's great not to have to think about cloning a drive. It just works.