Everyone,

    I've received a couple  messages with confusion over Karl's
collections, yes, collection'S'.  The FSCA acquired the collection from
Karl's earlier years in Ottawa and Arizona, soon after he moved to
Oklahoma. After that, he donated lots of materials from Oklahoma to the
FSCA and other places.  Before he died, he donated his main Oklahoma
collection to TAMU. His Oklahoma collection is the basis for that
amazing beetle list that Mike Quinn posted for us all.

     Karl's Latimer County list should be an inspiration showing what
can be done in any of our respective collecting areas!  It can also be
viewed as an indicator of how little we may know about our areas. Who
would have thought a small county in eastern Oklahoma has a beetle
diversity that rivals the know diversity of many states? I feel this
shows we are behind on understanding our own regional diversity.

     When comparing the Florida list to his Latimer County list, Karl
threw the challenge to us at the FSCA, I throw it out to everyone else -
'you can do better'.

          Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D.

Entomology Section Administrator

Florida State Collection of Arthropods

Division of Plant Industry/Entomology

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Desk (352) 395-4678

Fax (352) 395-4614

Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St

Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA

or

P.O.Box 147100

Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com <http://www.freshfromflorida.com/>

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119,
Florida Statutes).

Most written communications to or from state employees are public
records obtainable

by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may
be considered

public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential
pursuant to the

laws of the State of Florida.