Everyone,

    I’ve received a couple  messages with confusion over Karl’s collections, yes, collection’S’.  The FSCA acquired the collection from Karl’s earlier years in Ottawa and Arizona, soon after he moved to Oklahoma. After that, he donated lots of materials from Oklahoma to the FSCA and other places.  Before he died, he donated his main Oklahoma collection to TAMU. His Oklahoma collection is the basis for that amazing beetle list that Mike Quinn posted for us all.

     Karl’s Latimer County list should be an inspiration showing what can be done in any of our respective collecting areas!  It can also be viewed as an indicator of how little we may know about our areas. Who would have thought a small county in eastern Oklahoma has a beetle diversity that rivals the know diversity of many states? I feel this shows we are behind on understanding our own regional diversity.

     When comparing the Florida list to his Latimer County list, Karl threw the challenge to us at the FSCA, I throw it out to everyone else – ‘you can do better’.

          Paul

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul E. Skelley, Ph.D.

Entomology Section Administrator

Florida State Collection of Arthropods

Division of Plant Industry/Entomology

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Desk (352) 395-4678

Fax (352) 395-4614

Receptionist (352) 395-4700

The Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St

Gainesville, Florida 32608 USA

or

P.O.Box 147100

Gainesville, Florida 32614-7100, USA

www.FreshFromFlorida.com

Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119, Florida Statutes).

Most written communications to or from state employees are public records obtainable

by the public upon request. Emails sent to me at this email address may be considered

public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to the

laws of the State of Florida.