From: Max Barclay
Sent: 30 January 2014 21:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Beulah Garner; Brett Ratcliffe; [log in to unmask]; Mary Liz Jameson
Subject: The Natural History Museum Scarab Symposium 31st July-1st August 2014, and closing for Abstracts at the European Congress

Dear All

Please note the email below, about the Natural History Museum Scarab Symposium which will precede the European Congress of Entomology

Please also note that abstract submission for the European Congress of Entomology closes tomorrow (although registration continues until May) http://www.royensoc.co.uk/content/xth-european-congress-entomology-5

There is still plenty of time to submit a talk title for the Natural History Museum Scarab Symposium, but if you are considering attending both and would like to present at the York Congress you need to act quickly

Max

The Natural History Museum Scarab Symposium

preceding European Congress of Entomology to be held in York, UK, August 2014.

Dear All:

The European Congress of Entomology, Organized by the Royal Entomological Society, is taking place in York 3–8 August 2014.

http://www.royensoc.co.uk/meetings/20140803_ece2014.htm

The first day of the Congress is Sunday, 3 August. We anticipate that many entomologists will want to fly in from abroad to attend the congress, and that in many cases they will fly through London or fly to London and then get a train to York. The entomological Collections of the Natural History Museum in London will be available for visitors at this time, and we expect larger than normal visitor numbers before and after the Congress.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/collections/our-collections/invertebrate-collections/arthropod-collections/insect-collections/index.html

We shall conduct small, informal symposia on Thursday, 31 July and Friday, 1 August at the Natural History Museum in London. This will allow people to conduct research at the Museum and then travel to York in time for the Congress registration on Sunday evening. A schedule and list of subjects to be covered will follow this email, and we are looking for expressions of interest from people who want to talk or organize a symposium on any group of insects. I will pass your details on to the relevant member of our staff.

We have already confirmed a symposium on Scarabaeoidea. The aim would be to have talks/ presentations for part of each day, tours of the highlights of the Collections, and access to collections and libraries for the other part. There will also be a mixer on the evening of Thursday, 31 July after the first round of talks.  There may be a small registration fee. I can also help to provide economical accommodation suggestions near to the Museum.  For those working on the taxonomy and ecology of Scarabaeoidea, this informal symposium will offer an opportunity to showcase your research to an international, but probably primarily European, audience in the form of short talks, presentations, or posters and to meet colleagues from other continents working in the same area. We will have speakers from the UK, many European countries, and the USA. Please email me with proposed talks that can be on any aspect of the taxonomy, ecology, or collections management of any group of Scarabaeoidea.  I hope that this series of symposia will be of interest to people attending the Congress as well as a second reason to travel to the UK in the summer of 2014. Please email me with any queries, expressions of interest, or suggestions. I will send a First Circular in due course with details of the Scarabaeoidea Symposium and any other Symposia that will also be organized.

So far (before even advertising) we have the following confirmed talks

BM Scarab Symposium Speaker List

Angus, Robert – UK

Ballerio, Alberto – Italy

Cave, Ron- USA

Forgie, Shaun – New Zealand

Jameson, Mary Liz – USA

Krell, Frank-Thorsten – USA

NHM Curatorial team – UK

Ratcliffe, Brett – USA

Please let me know if you intend to give a presentation

best wishes,

Max

Maxwell V. L. Barclay
Curator and Collection Manager