From: Derek Sikes <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:15 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: oldest specimen in a US collection?

The oldest specimen in the University of Alaska Museum Insect Collection (UAM) is from 1899 and was taken in Alaska on the famous Harriman expedition. Much older Alaskan specimens were taken by Russian expeditions. I don't know if any of Steller's specimens from his visit to Alaska in the 1740s survive.

-Derek