Hi Wulfhere,

I like your article, although I could still find it intimidating as a new
person. ((I have to know what time period I like--there's a thousand years
of history to pick from! Then a where AND I have to know language? I"m just
going to call myself XYZ and not deal with all that! *Why should I register
a name*))
 When I decided I wanted a name, (after I'd been playing almost a year with
my modern name--It is allowed folks! You don't have to choose immediately!
My first award was even given to me as "Modern first name of local group
x")  I went to heraldic assistance table at an event and said "what
books/resources do you have here that don't require me to submit
documentation?" (already approved list). I selected a book with Norse
names, flipped through it for something I liked the look of, chose Amba
because it was close to my real name and allrasystir because I liked the
meaning (everyone's sister--Calontir is my adoptive family), filled out the
paperwork and waited ( admittedly, the device took a bit more effort) Fast
and simple, no extra effort on my part. For those who the persona story
isn't that important, it's a very easy way to get a period name. For those
who care about the persona story, its still a good method, just tailor it
to your interests ( ie: show me names for 14th century Florence)

YIS,

Amba allrasystir
Norsh-ish, somewhere in the English isles (raiding perhaps?), sorta
shield-maiden like, early period, plaid t-tunic loving, pants wearing
barbarian

P.S.: Suggestions for this or a future blog post: Why should I register a
name?  What if I like my modern name, can't I just use that? What are these
"resources" you speak off? (even just 1-2 links as a jumping off point
(Modar's website for instance, or the Academy of St. Gabriel).