Wulfhere said:

" Here I am a fairly new herald and I did not even know of these resources
despite having been trained and hanging out on various heraldric forums. It
is very probable then that newcomers will never know of them unless some
herald points them to them."

Two points:

1.  You are a new herald.  There is a lot you don't know -- yet.  You'll
gain expertise over time, but there's no reason to expect you'll ever know
all there is to know about heraldry.  And that's OKAY!  Ask any fighter,
ask any artisan, they'll tell you there's always more to learn about their
craft, whatever it is.  Heraldry is just the same.

2.  I have no problem whatsoever with the fact, which you pointed out, that
"newcomers will never know of [these resources] unless some herald points
them to them."  Of course I'll help somebody with finding a name.  That's
my job.  That's my joy.  There's no reason why they should have to do all
the research, and learn all the rules, if they just want to register a name
and/or device.  If they want to become a herald, I'll help with that also.
But if that's not their passion, okay.  It's mine.

Dorcas Whitecap
herald since A.S. 26