Hi Wulfhere,

I like your article, although I could still find it intimidating as a new person. ((I have to know what time period I like--there's a thousand years of history to pick from! Then a where AND I have to know language? I"m just going to call myself XYZ and not deal with all that! *Why should I register a name*))
 When I decided I wanted a name, (after I'd been playing almost a year with my modern name--It is allowed folks! You don't have to choose immediately! My first award was even given to me as "Modern first name of local group x")  I went to heraldic assistance table at an event and said "what books/resources do you have here that don't require me to submit documentation?" (already approved list). I selected a book with Norse names, flipped through it for something I liked the look of, chose Amba because it was close to my real name and allrasystir because I liked the meaning (everyone's sister--Calontir is my adoptive family), filled out the paperwork and waited ( admittedly, the device took a bit more effort) Fast and simple, no extra effort on my part. For those who the persona story isn't that important, it's a very easy way to get a period name. For those who care about the persona story, its still a good method, just tailor it to your interests ( ie: show me names for 14th century Florence)

YIS,

Amba allrasystir
Norsh-ish, somewhere in the English isles (raiding perhaps?), sorta shield-maiden like, early period, plaid t-tunic loving, pants wearing barbarian

P.S.: Suggestions for this or a future blog post: Why should I register a name?  What if I like my modern name, can't I just use that? What are these "resources" you speak off? (even just 1-2 links as a jumping off point (Modar's website for instance, or the Academy of St. Gabriel).