Greetings Miklos,

I think I will start developing name lists of my own or if any gracious heralds have lists they could email me I would be gracious. I really like that approach, The two new folk I am dealing with right now pretty much decided on their own to choose names without any urging from me. But then they went to period sources and then gave me the names to document. I got off easy as they had done a very good job, and they were easily documented. But name lists to me would be extremely helpful given with the advice there is no rush on choosing a name so I will certainly begin creating some lists. I do not want to become one of those pushy heralds insisting newcomers take up a SCA name. I'd rather they take their time and get a name they can live with.

Thanks,
Wulfhere

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Miklos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I do much like the good Maerwynn. I ask them if they have a country they like, or a timeframe. If they do, I hand them lists of names from that location or timeframe.

If not I will let them know that it is ok to wear their modern name for a bit, but I also suggest that they look through various name lists from different countries and languages to see if any of the names grab them by the collar and say "I am yours now!"

It *is* important for people to remember that while getting an SCA name is important, so is getting one you like.

And the Lady knows, I have been "one of those heralds" who was too pushy in trying to get people to pick an SCA name. It is something I have had to slowly learn how to do better.

Miklos Farma

-----Original Message-----
From: Maerwynn of Holme
Sent: May 9, 2014 2:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Blog Post on Choosing an SCA Name

Wulfhere,

Lovely article. For those of us who are information junkies, this is a whole lot like what I would have wanted when I first joined.

Everybody,

What I encourage with new people is "go to this list and choose a name." Rather than "pick a name you like, and we'll try to document it." For some people it's very limiting and they don't like it (then I try another tack), but for others, it's such a relief not to have to worry about it. :)

Best,

Maerwynn