As part of the "Awards and Sumputary Laws of Calontir class I teach on a regular basis, I have queried many knowledgeable folks about this exact subject.  Some folks read this bit of Kingdom Law as "absolutely no ornamentation", some take it as "no applied ornamentation" (so stamped designs would be ok), etc, etc, etc.  But overall, the general consensus seems to be "if it's not trying to look like a coronet, it should be ok.  If you have a question on it, ask a knowledgeable herald for their opinion".

~Shandra
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [CALONTIR] Circlet Question
From: Berry Canote <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, May 12, 2014 2:04 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Greetings All!

I have a question concerning circlets. I the Appendix III: The Sumptuary Laws of Calontir, AIII-301 CROWNS and CORONETS it says this:

"MEMBERS OF THE POPULACE may wear a totally unornamented circlet of any metal with no protrusions above or below the band, and the overall height not to exceed onehalf (1/2) inch"

Does "unornamented" mean it cannot be stamped either? I have a silver circlet stamped with Anglo-Saxon motifs that can only be seen if you look closely. It is less than a 1/2 inch in width. Would something like that be permissible? I do not want to wear it if it is not.

In Service,
Wulfhere