Gwendolyn,

Yes, they are hoping that someone in the contacts list is naive enough to send the money. Most spam scams are based simply on naivitity. They send out hundreds of thousands of emails weekly and even with just a .001% return it still leads to a lucrative scam.

Nakos

Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 12:08:22 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CALONTIR] Paging Lynette Dave'jean re:hacked email
To: [log in to unmask]

Lynette,
I believe your email was hacked. I received the following message from you:
"Greetings, how are doing this morning ? I don't know if you're aware that am presently in Turkey. I was robbed of my cash and credit cards last night but i thank God no lives were lost.
I need you lend me some money, about $2,800 or whatever you can afford. I need the money to settle bills here and get back home. I assure you that i'll refund the money immediately am home tomorrow.
Kindly respond asap.
Lynette"

I'm not super tech savy, but I see no attachments to contain viruses.  For those who are, are they just hoping I'm dumb enough to send thousands of dollars to Turkey, or am I missing a threat?  I opened the email on my phone but did not respond. I didn't want to risk responding directly.  Did anyone else get this message?  Thanks!

Gwendolyn
Sent from my iPhone