I have a friend who is a very good writer, who got lured into doing a
sequence of twelve short spots in a fashion magazine called Flaunt, if can
flaunt that.  He has six of the pieces fleshed out and went to the
publisher to talk moeknee.  Turns out they wanted him to do it for about
$40.  I kid you not.  He was thinking $1000 minimum.  His take on their
response was, "They say, because we run on interns and exploitation, like
the rest of the fashion industry, so this is how you break into the field.
"The glory of being here is the pay off" (they actually said that, in so
many words)."

Sound familiar?  I suggested he write an expose of the fashion industry and
find a real world publication to print it.  That is, if there IS a
publication anymore that doesn't operate in the same exploitative manor.

What do you think?  This crapola is all too common today and I just wonder
if there's a way to warn others about it.  And warn what falling victim to
this type of operation does to those who make their living doing art of any
sort, including writing.

Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA
www.brucebartrug.com