I wonder if that pertains to Canada, as well?   Not that I’ve ever heard of.

It’s sort of silly because I have to tell people how much a painting costs, so it’s hardly a secret. (although I will sometimes lower prices for paintings unlikely to sell or for people with very low incomes.)

On illustrating jobs…books and so on…I would have no need to tell, but if asked I would unless the publisher asked me not to (in which case no contract would be necessary…if that’s what’s wanted of course I’d comply…or not if there was some reason I can’t think of that I didn’t want to, but then I’d say so up front and risk losing the job).

Barry

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Catherine Wilson
Sent: May-04-14 12:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Work for free is not confined to art

What! It's illegal to tell how much you charge before three month? I've never heard of that.

Too bad there is not a hired web person for the Guild, should could devoted time to this. Of course I might be worth it to just pay to have to code written.

Heck I might just start a wordpress on my own. But I really need to know why it is only legal to publish prices after three months?