I have no answer for that, Anne.  How many pretty young women go to New York to be models and come home six months later broke and, maybe, wiser.  (Hmm....same business that began this thread.)  Supply and demand are always an issue in any line of endeavor, but if artists of any genre refused free work, those that stay in the field would have a easier time.