You mentioned he was "lured" into doing quite a bit of work before talking about money. I understand how that might happen, I think many of us have been-there-done-that. And as we grow wiser, we illustrators normally talk about scope and money before any work is done. Is that not in your friend's experience and "armor"?
Perhaps circumstances are different with each person, client, and project. I get that.
Just wondering.

I hope it works out them.
Best,
Linda