From: Frank Ippolito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 15:38:05 -0400
To: LIST SERV discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SCIART] TAN: Retirement? Nah....

Hi All,

After 30 years of service, I have decided to step away from my work at the
American Museum of Natural History at the end of the month. It's been a good
run.

Over the years I've had to opportunity to hone my skills, studying and
rendering ancient bones in the service of science. I have been able to
travel to strange landscapes and search for fossils weathering out of
prehistoric  sea beds. One specimen that I found and carefully dug out of
sandstone walls in Wyoming turned out to be the most complete skeleton of a
primate called Notharctus. He later became one of the species that was
included in Jay Matternes's beautiful primate evolution mural at AMNH.
Elsewhere in the museum, casts of the fellow hang in the Hall of Fossil
Mammals. My painting of the Triassic turtle Proganochelys and its
environment hangs in the Hall of Early Vertebrates. And I even got a fossil
turtle named after me - Taphrosphys ippolitoi. better still, I have been
able to work with some great people along the way - not to mention all the
friends and colleagues I've met through GNSI. And I had the opportunity to
mentor almost three dozen illustration interns - many of them continuing on
to rich careers of their own. Great opportunities all!

Fellow scientific illustrators will recognize that somewhere in that mix was
30 years of focused study and drawing. Sometimes exciting; sometimes boring;
always challenging. (whew!)

It was my work at AMNH that allowed me to branch out into the more general
scientific illustration. I really enjoy the problem-solving challenges that
this field engages me with. (How DOES one take a complex idea and distill it
down into a compelling, easy to read image?)  It is this area I will
continue to work as a freelancer on select projects. I will also continue to
teach at FDU and perhaps other venues.

Anyone who knows me well knows full well that I am not walking away from
work; I am walking towards it. I've already begun renting a painting studio
at the new Merseles studio center in downtown Jersey City. This summer I
will (finally!) be releasing my CD, Sawdust and the Mud - with supporting
live performances, both solo and with a full band. At the same time I've
been digging deeper and deeper into what I call time-based imagery - that
place where painting, illustration, filmmaking, and special effects collide.
I can't tell you what kind of work will emerge from this effort (well
actually, a music video is in progress) but it won't be boring!

It HAS been a good run. It's time to get busy!

PS I'm not certain if my email at amnh.org will have its plug pulled
instantly or after a time. so if anyone had time-sensitive issues, be sure
to use my [log in to unmask] mailbox.

at