Hi Lynn, I think there have been several such talks. I gave one at ECN 2010
(San Diego). The gist of the protocol was as follows:

Build a glass jig to hold the slides face down. I built three: The first to
load, the second to unload, all while the third is in the process of
scanning. I used an 8x10" piece of 1/16" glass, with plexiglass strips
glued in a grid so as to leave 12 open rectangular slots for the slides.

For speed and ease of use, put pre-printed sticker-style unique identifier
labels on the front of the slide.

Epson Scan software (free with a cheapo Epson flatbed scanner) allows you
to select as many individual objects on the flatbed as you want. Thus, you
can preselect your 12 slides in a preview scan based on their specific
locations on your slide jig (you only need to do this once).

The same software also automatically names the individual image files
sequentially per your specified starting point. Thus you input a prefix
(e.g. UCD345) and a starting number (e.g. 001) to match the image file name
to the slide's unique identifier (i.e. UCD345001.tiff, UCD345002.tiff, and
so on). It is key to scan the slides in numerical order, or you'll have to
find another solution for renaming your files.

I was able to label and scan 150 slides an hour scanning at 300 dpi. The
only significant bottlenecks are if the slides are not in numerical order
(per the unique identifiers) or if you want both sides of the slide in the
same image file. If you do need to scan both sides, you can at least
sandwich the slides under a second piece of glass and flip them over all at
once.

Here are the relevant slides:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62095847/Favret_Flatbed-slide-scanning_ECN2010.pdf

Good luck!