Ah--but page 572 of the collected letters? or another volume?

Terese

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Terese Svoboda <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Melissa--

Why this sounds very plausible. Thank you so much!

All best,
Terese

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Melissa Homestead <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi, Terese,

It is entirely possible that Cather wrote to Ridge and that the executor may have possession of the letter. If you look on p. 572, you will read a fan letter that Cather wrote out of the blue to Edna St. Vincent Millay. That letter certainly indicates that Cather was a regular reader of poetry and capable of writing fan letters to publishing poets. I am very doubtful that she made any published statements to that effect, however. All of Cather's interviews are on the Willa Cather Archive site, and I just searched to see if Ridge’s name shows up, and it doesn’t. Her volume of published critical writing is quite small, and there’s nothing in there, either.

Hope this helps.

Melissa J. Homestead
Professor of English and Program Faculty in Women’s & Gender Studies
English Department Assessment Coordinator
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
202 Andrews Hall
Lincoln, NE 68588-0333
(402) 472-0323 (direct dial)