What a great idea, Amy.  In the past, I used the same approach to change
the height of a desk, depending on what I was working on.  It wasn't to
allow standing, just to allow the work to get closer to my eyes, so I could
remove my glasses and not have to bend over to get close to the work.  I'm
more than a little near-sighted, as you may have guessed :).  That was
before I gained a few decades and needed lenses to help with close vision.
The more I think about it, however, I may revive the arrangement.  I
wouldn't need a coffee table either, just a wooden box of appropriate
height.......