Hi Amy, I have a lightweight $30 IKEA Lack coffee table set on top of my
desk, legs cut to fit my height.  There's enough room for my mouse,
keyboard, Wacom drawing tablet and a cup of coffee. It's been totally
great. I put it up and down to alternate between sitting and standing a
couple of times a day. Because it's so light, no problem. I looked around
for "real" standing desks before doing this, and didn't find anything that
would work as well for what I do.
The listserv won't let photo attachments go through, so email me privately
if you want to see it.
Jen Gibas