I have registered quite a few pieces (single applications)on line with the copyright office, and since it's cheaper to do it online than submit a written form (and faster to get the certificate), I'd say the $114 is not necessary. You have to fill out a form regardless, so why not just do it direct on the official site?. The directions are easy to follow, but there are a lot of pages. There may even be a video of walking you through it, I forget. Now I just save a template and it's a lot faster. The first time did take some time working through the forms largely because I wanted to read it correctly and select the right choices, but it depends on if you think the fee for a third party is worth the time spent.

My 2.5cents.
ta
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC