Robert I don't have a specific example but I'd bet that, at least in
regards to insects, the only time you'd see actual documentation of such
would be baited pitfalls to collect cave insects being left on the site for
too long.

I've heard chatter of extirpation of Cicindelinae from specific sites by
over-zealous collectors, which, if true, and done in a systematic way,
would of course eventually lead to extinction. Cicindela itself is one of
the most studied genera of economically unimportant animals, and is a great
favorite of non-research collectors (I love catching them, myself, but
generally only take a specimen if I see numerous individuals or know that
the particular place I'm at is not a known site).

I know when I'm asked why I collect insects, why would I need to kill them
and take them with me, my explanation that the tiny, black things I'm
interested in are difficult or impossible to distinguish from one another
without dissection under a microscope. I think that if I happened to be
interested in Lycaenidae instead of Carabidae, I'd get more arguments and
guff from the random people I meet in the field, but I lucked out, as my
little black bugs arn't as generally charming as butterflies.

All of this is hearsay, anecdotes, and speculation, of course. A certain
part of the public at large will never see the sense of killing innocent
animals, no matter what the reason is, and the only people who are going to
argue for meaningful killing of these animals are biologists. If it falls
on deaf ears or not, it should still be made clear that there is a
legitimate reason for it.

--
Samuel G Perry
206 427 9885