There was a (spurious) example used by the ‘anti-collectors’ 10 or 15 years ago in the UK of a large and colourful Tenebrionidae that develops in bracket fungi on Betula, and which was very rare (Red Data Book) in the UK, being extirpated by collectors; the argument was that it was restricted to the fungus, and when it was reported from one small forest, collectors pulled off all the obvious fruiting bodies of the fungus in the forest where it was known to occur, ‘so the collectors must have eliminated it’. Once the collectors in question had ‘their series’ no one else looked for it, so there were no more records or specimens, so it was concluded that it ‘must have been extirpated’

Scroll on 10 years, and a slight increase in annual temperatures (many rarities in UK are rare because they are on the fringe of their climatic range) the species in question, Diaperus boleti, spread hugely, and is now to be found in virtually every birch bracket fungus in southern England….

I saw more than one lecture in which the ‘destruction’ of this species in England was used as an example of the negative side of collecting. People were pleased with the neatness of the example, which they employed to prove their spurious and now falsified point- and probably a lot of damage was done to public perceptions of science and collecting by these people’s misconception …. What I don’t understand, is why they did it?

Maxwell V. L. Barclay
Curator and Collection Manager
Entomology: Coleoptera & Hemiptera
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
T: 0207 942 5911
M: 07766331806
E:

My TEDx talk at the Royal Albert Hall is now available online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGcu8WwheUU

NHM Webpage

Beetle Blog

Facebook: 'Friends of Coleoptera'