Takadai braids create flat braids similar to tablet and inkle loom weaving. While easily confused with weaving technically it's braiding, many of the round and very small flat braids are similar to finger loop braiding.

The takadai is a post period device used to create the Japanese braids. In period they would have been braided using a hand/finger braiding technique called kute-uchi, instead of using your fingers to hold the strings they go around your palm, in addition to other finger loop braiding. Many people use the takadai because of the ease of being able to walk away mid-braiding and many of the more complex or large thread count braids require two to five people to braid.

I currently don't have a written documentation yet, one of the many things I need to get done for Queens Prize.

Nakos

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Okay, I’m Norman, not Greek. But what is/are “takadai braids”? Is this a hair style? Some sort of weaving?

If you’ve written up an article or handout or A&S documentation, please consider submitting it to me to publish in the Florilegium. Perhaps it would help inform other Greeks or Normans or even those Anglo-Saxons, about this craft.

Thanks,
    Stefan
PS: the author keeps the copyright and I accept updates at any time.

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris