On 7/23/14, 8:36 PM, Ron Ruff wrote:
> I am just catching the tail end of this conversation. I have been looking into getting a Drobo, with
> is essentially a network attatched personal cloud. But it has the same problems such as tornado or
> fire or theft in my office as a Raid would.. At a couple thousand dollars for all of my hard drives
> plus the cost of the Drobo device itself, Cameron's solution sounds pretty good at $1k a year.
> Except that it takes forever and a day to upload to the internet from rural Nebraska. Still not sure
> what to do....

If you are serious about your business in a rural area, you get two Drobos or other RAIDs and rotate
them regularly to an off site location (bank box, mom's house?), use TimeMachine on the Mac so you
don't have to think to hard. You could also use SuperDuper! on the Mac to make boot-able drives with
all the data on your other drives. You could even set up an automated task to do it for you while
you sleep, so all you have to do is remember to swap the drives once a week.

If you are not doing video, two 8TB raids are not out of reach and will last you a long time.