I think some 3rd or 4th graders might enjoy it for a short time but my sense from working with them in our after school program is that's a bit young. I think 5th and 6th graders might be a safer targets. Focus (hopefully) increases with experience and success.

But you know what? Introduce it. See what they do. I never underestimate children who want to learn something. Depends on the student, really. Go look at John Singer Sargent's sketchbooks at the Fogg Museum and see what he did at 10 years of age. Amazing.

Kathy G