I spotted this on a list of recent history of medicine/science
dissertations (http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/histmed/dissertations) and thought
SCIArt folks might want to know about it.

 I don't have easy access to ProQuest so I haven't seen the dissertation
yet. I'm curious to see what Dr. O'Donnell  says about the changing
technology/cost of producing and printing images over the 2 centuries.

Karen
Karen Reeds

Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:
http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/

Karen Reeds, "Impossible Plants," essay for Weird, Wild & Wonderful: The
Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition, Curated by the
American Society of Botanical Artists (Bronx NY: New York Botanical Garden
and American Society of Botanical Artists, 2014), 8-11.

==============

Connections between fine art and scientific illustrations in the PTRS in
the period 1660-1850
2013 2013

Other formats: Order a copy
<http://search.proquest.com/unauthdocview.unauthdocview.unauthdocheader:setshowcart/https:$2f$2forder.proquest.com$2fOA_HTML$2fpqdtibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp$3fsitex$3d10020:22372:US$26item$3d3575096$26dlnow$3d0$26track$3d1SRCH$26rpath$3dhttp$253A$252F$252Fsearch.proquest.com$252Fdocview$252F1459476183;jsessionid=B4A4EE0A19D5BD7F658DBE6EF32FC3C6-m37.t31>

Abstract(summary)

This dissertation investigates connections between scientific illustration
in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (PTRS) and fine art
in the period from 1660 to 1850, comparing three science illustrations from
approximately 100-year intervals, 1667, 1775, and 1839, with fine art
images of Van Dyck, (1641), Wilson, (1774), and Constable, (1831). My
assessment consisted of an objective visual analysis of the science and
fine art images using Wolfflin's comparison pairs, an analysis of the
compositional and external art influences in the science images, and an
evaluation of the science images related to period art theory. My research
found that the science images do reflect period fine art elements, to a
degree, but they are not expressive statements of fine art. My research
revealed increasing aesthetic influences in the scientific images from 1667
to 1839, suggesting that the incorporation of fine art elements in these
science images, and the increased use of illustrations in PTRS articles,
may reflect a growing awareness of the significance of images in scientific
argument.
Indexing (details)
Subject
Fine arts;
Science history
Classification
0357: Fine arts
0585: Science history
Identifier / keyword
Social sciences, Communication and the arts, Visual rhetoric, Science
visuals, Scientific illustration, Wolfflin's Art Principles, Royal
Society, Philosophical
transactions
Title
Connections between fine art and scientific illustrations in the PTRS in
the period 1660-1850
Author
O'Donnell, Kathryn E.
Number of pages
380
Publication year
2013
Degree date
2013
School code
0091
Source
DAI-A 75/02(E), Aug 2014
Place of publication
Ann Arbor
Country of publication
United States
ISBN
9781303526251
University/institution
Illinois Institute of Technology
Department
Technical Communication
University location
United States -- Illinois
Degree
Ph.D.
Source type
Dissertations & Theses
Language
English
Document type
Dissertation/Thesis
Dissertation/thesis number
3575096
ProQuest document ID
1459476183
Copyright
Copyright ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing 2013
Document URL
http://search.proquest.com/docview/1459476183
Database
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT)