I spotted this on a list of recent history of medicine/science dissertations (http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/histmed/dissertations) and thought SCIArt folks might want to know about it.

 I don't have easy access to ProQuest so I haven't seen the dissertation yet. I'm curious to see what Dr. O'Donnell  says about the changing technology/cost of producing and printing images over the 2 centuries.

Karen
Karen Reeds

Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:  http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/

Karen Reeds, "Impossible Plants," essay for Weird, Wild & Wonderful: The Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition, Curated by the American Society of Botanical Artists (Bronx NY: New York Botanical Garden and American Society of Botanical Artists, 2014), 8-11.

==============

Connections between fine art and scientific illustrations in the PTRS in the period 1660-1850

2013 2013

Other formats: Order a copy

Abstract(summary)

This dissertation investigates connections between scientific illustration in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (PTRS) and fine art in the period from 1660 to 1850, comparing three science illustrations from approximately 100-year intervals, 1667, 1775, and 1839, with fine art images of Van Dyck, (1641), Wilson, (1774), and Constable, (1831). My assessment consisted of an objective visual analysis of the science and fine art images using Wolfflin's comparison pairs, an analysis of the compositional and external art influences in the science images, and an evaluation of the science images related to period art theory. My research found that the science images do reflect period fine art elements, to a degree, but they are not expressive statements of fine art. My research revealed increasing aesthetic influences in the scientific images from 1667 to 1839, suggesting that the incorporation of fine art elements in these science images, and the increased use of illustrations in PTRS articles, may reflect a growing awareness of the significance of images in scientific argument.

Indexing (details)

Subject
Fine arts;
Science history
Classification
0357: Fine arts
0585: Science history
Identifier / keyword
Social sciences, Communication and the arts, Visual rhetoric, Science visuals, Scientific illustration, Wolfflin's Art Principles, Royal Society, Philosophical transactions
Title
Connections between fine art and scientific illustrations in the PTRS in the period 1660-1850
Author
O'Donnell, Kathryn E.
Number of pages
380
Publication year
2013
Degree date
2013
School code
0091
Source
DAI-A 75/02(E), Aug 2014
Place of publication
Ann Arbor
Country of publication
United States
ISBN
9781303526251
University/institution
Illinois Institute of Technology
Department
Technical Communication
University location
United States -- Illinois
Degree
Ph.D.
Source type
Dissertations & Theses
Language
English
Document type
Dissertation/Thesis
Dissertation/thesis number
3575096
ProQuest document ID
1459476183
Copyright
Copyright ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing 2013
Document URL
Database
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT)

from Karen Reeds