Hi Karen
Here's the abstract:
This dissertation investigates connections between scientific illustration
in the *Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (PTRS)* and fine
art in the period from 1660 to 1850, comparing three science illustrations
from approximately 100-year intervals, 1667, 1775, and 1839, with fine art
images of Van Dyck, (1641), Wilson, (1774), and Constable, (1831). My
assessment consisted of an objective visual analysis of the science and
fine art images using Wolfflin's comparison pairs, an analysis of the
compositional and external art influences in the science images, and an
evaluation of the science images related to period art theory. My research
found that the science images do reflect period fine art elements, to a
degree, but they are not expressive statements of fine art. My research
revealed increasing aesthetic influences in the scientific images from 1667
to 1839, suggesting that the incorporation of fine art elements in these
science images, and the increased use of illustrations in *PTRS* articles,
may reflect a growing awareness of the significance of images in scientific
argument.

The entire pdf is 18 MB and I'm not sure about rights, etc. I can ask a
librarian next week if you're still interested.

Best,
Jennifer

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I spotted this on a list of recent history of medicine/science
> dissertations (http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/histmed/dissertations) and
> thought SCIArt folks might want to know about it.
>
>  I don't have easy access to ProQuest so I haven't seen the dissertation
> yet. I'm curious to see what Dr. O'Donnell  says about the changing
> technology/cost of producing and printing images over the 2 centuries.
>

> Karen
> Karen Reeds
>
> Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:
> http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/
>
> Karen Reeds, "Impossible Plants," essay for Weird, Wild & Wonderful: The
> Second New York Botanical Garden Triennial Exhibition, Curated by the
> American Society of Botanical Artists (Bronx NY: New York Botanical Garden
> and American Society of Botanical Artists, 2014), 8-11.
>

> ==============
>

> Connections between fine art and scientific illustrations in the PTRS in
> the period 1660-1850
> 2013 2013
>
> Other formats: Order a copy
> <http://search.proquest.com/unauthdocview.unauthdocview.unauthdocheader:setshowcart/https:$2f$2forder.proquest.com$2fOA_HTML$2fpqdtibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp$3fsitex$3d10020:22372:US$26item$3d3575096$26dlnow$3d0$26track$3d1SRCH$26rpath$3dhttp$253A$252F$252Fsearch.proquest.com$252Fdocview$252F1459476183;jsessionid=B4A4EE0A19D5BD7F658DBE6EF32FC3C6-m37.t31>
>
> Abstract(summary)
>
> This dissertation investigates connections between scientific illustration
> in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (PTRS) and fine art
> in the period from 1660 to 1850, comparing three science illustrations from
> approximately 100-year intervals, 1667, 1775, and 1839, with fine art
> images of Van Dyck, (1641), Wilson, (1774), and Constable, (1831). My
> assessment consisted of an objective visual analysis of the science and
> fine art images using Wolfflin's comparison pairs, an analysis of the
> compositional and external art influences in the science images, and an
> evaluation of the science images related to period art theory. My research
> found that the science images do reflect period fine art elements, to a
> degree, but they are not expressive statements of fine art. My research
> revealed increasing aesthetic influences in the scientific images from 1667
> to 1839, suggesting that the incorporation of fine art elements in these
> science images, and the increased use of illustrations in PTRS articles,
> may reflect a growing awareness of the significance of images in scientific
> argument.
>  Indexing (details)
> Subject
> Fine arts;
> [...]