Hi Hanna:
Lots of visitor centers are going with digital printing wall prints and attaching them to walls. It's more economical for them. Think of the hours one would have to spend standing on a ladder (or renting scaffolding and lift equipment) to hand paint it, not to mention the expenses of the assistant crews, hotels, etc.

I would find out the materials that your fabricator will use. The ppi/dpi of the printing method and any other specifications, may determine how you originally plan the artwork, and later draw/paint/photograph. I always try to start with an understanding of the type of material and production methods before I design the artwork. It will also help you price the labor for your work.

There are several manufacturers of mural prints, and each fabricator/installer has their favorites.

Of those several choices, there are prints that are water-based prints that need laminating, and also prints that need no lamination. All of this helps determine how the mural will be cared for over the years. The quality of the mural print also depends on how it's installed, how the seams are neatly done so not to be noticeable.

So the first place I'd start is with the fabricator/installer. Then work backwards.

Best of luck, keep us posted on the project!
Cheers,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325