This is a really good idea, Jane. Thank you for mentioning this. At the beginning of the class I plan to include some basic discussion about values as they relate to rendering simple shapes. So this will set the stage. I can suggest they use the tracing paper technique in the classroom with their students as an initial exercise.

All the best,
Lynette

On Jul 31, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Jane wrote:

Lynette,
I have taught the stipple technique to high school age students...9 through 12 grades.  If you teach about values first, and how to create form with 3 values, stipple follows easily and the kids usually love it.  I structured the lesson by having students first create a simple form (in three values) using pencil, and then putting tracing paper over the top of that pencil drawing, do the first stipple exercise on the trace using the original drawing as a guide.
Best,
Jane

From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Lynette Cook
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Age Range for Teaching Stipple Technique

I'm putting together a proposal to teach the stipple technique to educators at a resource center. It will be each participant's choice to approach this from a scientific illustration angle (i.e. render their object/specimen accurately) or to engage in the drawing as a fine artist. I need to list the target audience. I'm uncertain at what age students might enjoy and learn this technique. I wonder if I can suggest teachers who have 3rd or 4th graders? Is this age group too young?

Best regards,
Lynette
--
Ms. Lynette R. Cook, Artist/Illustrator