If all the images are from one source, I'd use the footnote method you list
last. You could also put the information in the title/header for the
appendix. If the book is not yet in the overall bibliography, I'd add it
there too. For the figure count, I'd just hand write it in neatly next to
the figures.

YIS,

Amba