Whatever you want to use! I've seen medallions made out of metal, bone,
ceramic, fabric, embroidery, anything you can imagine really.
There are a couple of drawings of torses that might help!
http://www.modaruniversity.org/images/Calontir/Award-Torse.gif
http://armorial.calontir.org/Devices/calontorsebadge.gif

Phaedra