Announcing A Greco-Persian Equestrian Challenge for Cattle Raids!

It is now in your hands to enslave Athens or make her free, and thereby
leave behind for all posterity a memorial such as not even Harmodius and
Aristogeiton left. Now the Athenians have come to their greatest danger
since they first came into being, and, if we surrender, it is clear what we
will suffer when handed over to Hippias. But if the city prevails, it will
take first place among the Greek cities.

   – Herodotus, The Histories

About the Challenge: The theme for Cattle Raids 2014 is the Greco-Persian
Wars between the Achaemenid Empire of Persia and the Greek city-states from
499 – 449 BC.  Cavalry were an important part of that conflict.  The
elements of this challenge are mostly taken from On the Cavalry Commander,
a book by the Greek writer Xenophon (430 – 354 BC).

The Prizes: The prizes for this challenge will be contributed by the
entrants.  As Xenophon wrote:

And if you could offer prizes to the regiments for skill in all the feats
that the public expects the cavalry to perform at the spectacles, I think
this would appeal strongly to the spirit of emulation in every Athenian.
 For evidence of this I may refer to the [Greek plays], in which many
labours and heavy expenses are the price paid for trifling rewards.

We encourage everyone to heed Xenophon’s words: No trifling rewards!  :-)

The Course: A full description and course diagram will be posted online
shortly, but the course includes a procession, heraldry (so start working
on your intro now! and pull out those banners!), maneuvering on horseback,
javelin throwing, simulated polo, bonus points for riding the course
bareback, and more!

TO RESERVE A STALL (or if you have any Questions): Contact the Honorable
Lady Eowyth þa Siðend at [log in to unmask]

The Honorable Lady Katrin Bjarnarsdottir will also be hosting an Evening
Tournament! More details and a full schedule to be posted as plans are
completed.

http://magmor.net/events/cattleraids2014.php

In Service,

THL Eowyth þa Siðend