Hello all,

I am serving as the new WLA liaison to the Association for the Study of
Literature and Environment (ASLE), a thriving organization that was founded
at the annual WLA conference in 1992. The eleventh biennial ASLE conference
will be held on the campus of the University of Idaho, in Moscow, ID,  June
23-27, 2015. In addition to plenaries and panels, the ASLE conference
includes pre-conference workshops, field trips, and a new "Progressive
Evening Event" that will link conference goers to local artists, musicians,
and businesses through events at a variety of sites around town.

The theme for the 2015 ASLE conference is Notes from the Underground: The
Depths of Environmental Arts, Culture and Justice. I will be sending out a
CFP for the joint ASLE-WLA session in the coming weeks, but in the meantime
I welcome any ideas you might have for such a session. Please contact me
off-list if you have any ideas for the session or if you have any other
questions about the ASLE conference.

Here is a link to the general ASLE CFP, which is also pasted below:
http://www.asle.org/assets/docs/ASLE_Conferences_2015CFP.pdf

Best wishes,

Amy T. Hamilton

Associate Professor of English

Northern Michigan University

1401 Presque Isle Drive

Marquette, MI 49855

Office: (906)227-1724

---

Notes from Underground:

The Depths of Environmental Arts, Culture and Justice

Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE)

Eleventh Biennial Conference, June 23- 27, 2015

University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho

 <http://www.uidaho.edu> www.uidaho.edu/asle

THE CONFERENCE WEBSITE (INCLUDING SUBMISSIONS PAGE) WILL BE LIVE IN
SEPTEMBER, 2014

DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: DECEMBER 7, 2014

Read or download the full CFP:
http://www.asle.org/assets/docs/ASLE_Conferences_2015CFP.pdf

In Notes from Underground (1864), Dostoyevsky explores relations between
modernity and its discontents at an important historical conjuncture: the
novella's unnamed, unpleasant hero rails against capitalist industry,
imperialist architecture and an emerging social scientific understanding of
human behaviour premised on predictability and knowability. By writing from
the underground - from the subterranean, from the murk, from the world of
refuse - Dostoyevsky asks us to consider the importance of experiences that
lie beneath (and both before and after) the shiny edifices of progress,
rationality and industry. But the "underground" also asks us to consider
what lies beneath us much more literally: crust, tectonic plates, magma,
minerals, fossil fuels, aquifers, lakes, caves, fungal networks, clay,
compost, worms, ants, nematodes, roots, rhizomes, tubers, seeds, warrens,
nests, vaults, graves, landfills, nuclear weapons and waste, buried
treasure. In this act of collection - underground elements, underground
agents, underground movements, underground epistemologies - we hope to draw
attention to the multiple ways in which things underground and the
institutions that variously cultivate, harness and contain them, are
constantly changing the terrain (literally and politically) on which we
stand.

Especially in the midst of such widespread focus on atmospheric climate
change, perhaps we also need to look down, under, beneath and below for
imaginative aesthetic, critical, pedagogical and activist responses? At our
current political and ecological conjuncture, the literal underground is
very much the subject of contest - extraction, pollution, depletion,
neoliberalisation, cultivation, sovereignty, equity, (re)claiming -
suggesting the need for creative new ways of engaging in activism, reading,
writing and education in these networks of depth: underground arts,
humanities, ecocriticism, justice. For the 2015 ASLE conference, we seek
proposals for panels, papers, performances, discussions, readings and
roundtables that address this constellation of undergrounds. We invite
participants to interpret the conference theme as broadly as possible and to
imagine their work in terms not only of underground content but also of
subterranean form: we particularly encourage non-traditional modes of
presentation, including hybrid, performative and collaborative works; panels
that minimize formal presentation in favour of engaged emergent discussion;
interdisciplinary approaches; environmentally inflected (earthy?) readings
of fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, film, theatre and other media; and
proposals from outside the academic humanities, including submissions from
artists, writers, teachers, practitioners, activists and colleagues in the
social and natural sciences.

Our list of keynote speakers includes Donna Haraway, Linda Hogan, Stephanie
LeMenager, Ann Fisher-Wirth, Jorge Navarro, Anna Tsing, Rita Wong, and
Tanure Ojaide.

For questions about the program, please contact 2015 ASLE President Cate
Sandilands at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

For questions about the conference site, field sessions, progressive event
and other local activities, please contact the conference site hosts at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

For questions about ASLE and membership, please contact Amy McIntyre, ASLE
Managing Director, at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .