Couple of things:

If I had to be limited to just three tubes, I'd go with a transparent light (almost lemon but most lemons are too chalky to me - maybe a Winsor?) yellow, a quinacridone rose (as close as you can get to a true clear magenta) and either a pthalo or ultramarine blue (depending on your subject matter). You can always add a touch of the magenta to warm up the yellow; the pthalo will be good for those velvety blacks; and you can always add the yellow to warm up the magenta to make a true red. (Hard to wipe back the pthalo though but it gives a nicer range of turquoises than ultramarine, don't you think?)

Have you tried the altoids tin hack for compactly carrying watercolor paints? (this only works with the tins that have a completely flat lid though) I get people to save them for me. : )

Take an altoids tin, mask off the edges of the outside with masking tape; scrub it up gently but evenly (on the inside only) with a brillo pad or steel wool; spray it with white appliance paint; let dry. Apply lines of white silicone caulk (the kind that hardens) to demarcate wells for the color (nine little rectangle shapes fit well but you can do more or fewer of course). You need two layers of the caulk. Let dry between layers. Use the lid for your palette. (You can also fit in the half pans but I'm not sure how many fit exactly.) This makes a great travel kit with one of those nidji waterbrushes.

What about a .5mm clickie pencil? White Corelle plate for a larger palette? Kneaded eraser? Two gallon zippies - one for the finished work, to protect it, and the other to to hold the rest? And a cloth bag with handles or a backpack? A cardboard sleeve with a couple of rubber bands to enclose and protect that precious brush? It's expensive to set up a watercolor set!

You all know Daniel Smith is closing out of everything but their own line of paints for their online sales business, right? You might get some good deals on paper, though I've been really unhappy with the length of time it takes for them to get the goods to my house. Dick Blick is always less than a week for me.

Yes, specify that there will be a materials fee. Be fair to yourself and bill in a bit of extra time for your preparation of the supplies.

Good luck with your class!

Kathy G