hi all,

a delayed response, here -- i was joyfully engaged on a backpacking trip
over the weekend!

kathleen, depending on the target cost of the finished paint sets, i go for
a double primary palette (warm and cool of each primary), plus maybe one or
two earth tones (burnt umber, burnt sienna) and maybe a green such as
viridian (which quickly gets the point across that some raw-looking colors
may actually be quite good at playing with others). there's also nothing
like a cadmium orange, so i try to include that, too. once i had a lot of
quinacridone gold on hand, for some reason, which my students also loved.
so my answer to your question is, "it varies", but i make sure it's an
array of 8-10 you-can-mix-yourself-to-anywhere-from-here colors.

linda, just to clarify, the small pro-art palette i'm referring to actually
has 20 wells (now that i'm home i can include a picture, linda, if you send
me your direct email address) -- more than enough room to include whatever
colors you wish. i find that air-dried tube paints re-wet quite readily for
around 6 months, and are still reasonably cooperative for about 2 years,
which i consider to be a good window of usability for the cost of the set
(--especially considering that the paint can be replaced and the palette
can be used indefinitely). i do use Daniel Smith tube paints,
preferentially, but i also find that the Van Gogh tube paints (not dry
cakes -- i don't think VG even makes them) are a good, economical choice
for participants who would otherwise not be able to afford a paint set at
all.

that's my 4 cents -- a little more wordy when not typing on my phone, eh?
ha ha!

have a great time with your students, linda. they are so lucky to have you
as their teacher!

jenny

--
Jenny Keller
CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001