Here’s another thought, Linda.  From time to time I have wanted to try new materials and asked Blick if they had samples I could try.  I always mention my class size and 75% of the time they send samples that help me make up my mind. (This was most helpful with, for example, colored pencils, and again with a huge variety of watercolor paper samples.)  You can always ask. I call their 800 number and ask to speak to customer service.
Best,
Jane

From: Linda Feltner
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Advice on minimal materials for an adult watercolor class

I've been reconsidering (again) the pigment situation.
I found on Blick, that Van Gogh makes small tube sets of 10 tubes and 12 tubes (10ml tubes), and also one of 12 half-pans. All the sets have Chinese white, and Payne's Gray.  The set of 10 tubes are 22.19. The set of 12 is 31.05, BUT it comes with a plastic palette of sorts, 6 mixing areas, a sponge and a small brush (round nylon size 6).
http://www.dickblick.com/products/van-gogh-watercolor-sets/

So a set of 10 plus the pro-art palette would run appx the same as the set of 12 in a plastic folding case.  The good brush would still be extra.

I was processing that amount of paint that students might use... thanks to Lore, and wondered if it not be better to just have a paint set, rather than a squished set?

Oh, Yarka. That was the brand of w/c paint set that the college sold in their bookstore, and those are DREADFUL, and that's the kindest remark I can make on them.

If I have more sets than students, I could just return them to Blick.
I guess I'll have to just buy a set and try them out.

Still mulling.
Thanks
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC