Dear All,

We are hiring this academic year. Please find the information below.

Best

Yavuz Yasar

Assistant Professor - Economics
 Job Description

In the Economics Department at the University of Denver we emphasize the
understanding of the workings of the social apparatus which governs the
production and distribution of goods and services and of how economic
theories have developed over time to address the topic covered in
economics. Our faculty have a somewhat broader view of what economics is
about than is found in the average economics program in the U.S. We present
alternative perspectives on the historical and present-day relevance of our
material. We encourage students not to take in received knowledge as the
truth but to examine it and question it. Our approach lends itself quite
readily to emphasizing the importance of writing and critical thinking as
well as of quantitative skills. We emphasize the use of more primary
sources and larger reading assignments than one finds in the typical U.S.
economics curriculum.

The Assistant Professor position is a full time, tenure track position in
the Department of Economics. The right candidate will demonstrate the
following:

   - Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Economics
   - Must show promise of distinction in research and publications in the
   fields of Public Economics, with an emphasis on the role of the state in
   the economy, or Urban and Regional Economics
   - An interest in U.S. Economic History would additionally be helpful
   - Must also show promise of excellent teaching ability in these areas,
   as well as for our introductory courses Macro- and Microeconomics I:
   History and Theories and/or Macro- and Microeconomics II: Theories and
   Policies. Teaching these courses requires familiarity with economic
   history, the history of economic thought, philosophy of social science, and
   heterodox as well as mainstream perspectives on economic theory and policy.
   - Must demonstrate ability to integrate content and issues relating to,
   and to work effectively with, diverse populations

At the introductory level we expect this new person to be teaching sections
of one of our two introductory courses, described above. At the
upper-division and/or the graduate level, the desired primary teaching
areas for this new hire would be either in Public Economics or in Urban and
Regional Economics. If the candidate is qualified to do so and is
interested in doing so, teaching a course on U.S. Economic History could
also be desirable. Any other teaching would be likely be in an area in
which the candidate has sufficient familiarity and which would assist or
extend our current faculty strengths. The Assistant Professor may also
teach a course for the University's general education curriculum. The
teaching load is two 4-hour courses per quarter.

The Assistant Professor will also conduct economic research, some of the
results of which have to be publishable in journals, or in the forms of
books or monographs. The primary research area should be in the fields of
Public Economics, with an emphasis on the role of the state in the economy,
or Urban and Regional Economics.

The Assistant Professor will also participate in advising undergraduate and
graduate students and in supervising some students in their research. The
incumbent will also provide service on departmental or University
committees, and possibly on community panels or forums.

*Required Education and Qualifications:*

   - PhD or ABD in Economics. If ABD, the degree must be completed no later
   than August 2015
   - Familiarity with economic history, the history of economic thought,
   philosophy of social science, and heterodox as well as mainstream
   perspectives on economic theory and policy
   - Teaching and research strengths in the fields of Public Economics,
   with an emphasis on the role of the state in the economy, or Urban and
   Regional Economics

*Preferred Education and Qualifications:*

   - Ph.D. in Economics

*Instructions for candidates:*

Candidates must apply online through www.dujobs.org (or through the link
below) to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be
accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New
Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application.

A cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a research statement, a recent research
paper, and a teaching statement are required and must be uploaded as
attachments to your application. If available, provide evidence of teaching
ability. Please consider combining documents to avoid the 5 document upload
limit. 3 letters of recommendation are also required to be sent to the
email address below.

Review of applications begins December 4, 2014, applications received
before this date will be given first consideration. Please visit
www.du.edu/ahss/schools/economics for more information about the
Department.

If you have questions regarding this position please contact: [log in to unmask]

The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its
faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities,
members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The
University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
 Department Economics Position Type Full-Time/Regular