Dear All,

We are hiring this academic year. Please find the information below.

Best

Yavuz Yasar

Assistant Professor - Economics

Job Description

In the Economics Department at the University of Denver we emphasize the understanding of the workings of the social apparatus which governs the production and distribution of goods and services and of how economic theories have developed over time to address the topic covered in economics. Our faculty have a somewhat broader view of what economics is about than is found in the average economics program in the U.S. We present alternative perspectives on the historical and present-day relevance of our material. We encourage students not to take in received knowledge as the truth but to examine it and question it. Our approach lends itself quite readily to emphasizing the importance of writing and critical thinking as well as of quantitative skills. We emphasize the use of more primary sources and larger reading assignments than one finds in the typical U.S. economics curriculum.

The Assistant Professor position is a full time, tenure track position in the Department of Economics. The right candidate will demonstrate the following:

  • Ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Economics
  • Must show promise of distinction in research and publications in the fields of Public Economics, with an emphasis on the role of the state in the economy, or Urban and Regional Economics
  • An interest in U.S. Economic History would additionally be helpful
  • Must also show promise of excellent teaching ability in these areas, as well as for our introductory courses Macro- and Microeconomics I: History and Theories and/or Macro- and Microeconomics II: Theories and Policies. Teaching these courses requires familiarity with economic history, the history of economic thought, philosophy of social science, and heterodox as well as mainstream perspectives on economic theory and policy.
  • Must demonstrate ability to integrate content and issues relating to, and to work effectively with, diverse populations

At the introductory level we expect this new person to be teaching sections of one of our two introductory courses, described above. At the upper-division and/or the graduate level, the desired primary teaching areas for this new hire would be either in Public Economics or in Urban and Regional Economics. If the candidate is qualified to do so and is interested in doing so, teaching a course on U.S. Economic History could also be desirable. Any other teaching would be likely be in an area in which the candidate has sufficient familiarity and which would assist or extend our current faculty strengths. The Assistant Professor may also teach a course for the University's general education curriculum. The teaching load is two 4-hour courses per quarter.

The Assistant Professor will also conduct economic research, some of the results of which have to be publishable in journals, or in the forms of books or monographs. The primary research area should be in the fields of Public Economics, with an emphasis on the role of the state in the economy, or Urban and Regional Economics.

The Assistant Professor will also participate in advising undergraduate and graduate students and in supervising some students in their research. The incumbent will also provide service on departmental or University committees, and possibly on community panels or forums.

Required Education and Qualifications:

  • PhD or ABD in Economics. If ABD, the degree must be completed no later than August 2015
  • Familiarity with economic history, the history of economic thought, philosophy of social science, and heterodox as well as mainstream perspectives on economic theory and policy
  • Teaching and research strengths in the fields of Public Economics, with an emphasis on the role of the state in the economy, or Urban and Regional Economics

Preferred Education and Qualifications:

  • Ph.D. in Economics

Instructions for candidates:

Candidates must apply online through www.dujobs.org (or through the link below) to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application.

A cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a research statement, a recent research paper, and a teaching statement are required and must be uploaded as attachments to your application. If available, provide evidence of teaching ability. Please consider combining documents to avoid the 5 document upload limit. 3 letters of recommendation are also required to be sent to the email address below.

Review of applications begins December 4, 2014, applications received before this date will be given first consideration. Please visit www.du.edu/ahss/schools/economics for more information about the Department.

If you have questions regarding this position please contact: [log in to unmask]

The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Department
Economics
Position Type
Full-Time/Regular