Thanks, Jim.  That corrected the situation and it all works as before.

Karen:  thanks for the input, but this method crops everything and anything.

OC:  Thanks, but I've never used the crop tool.  I just select the whole
image, then slice pieces off with the Marquee tool.  This way, it's easier
to go back and forth using the history palette.

Cheers, and thank again,