'Tis the season and the deer mice here like to try to build their nests
in my RAV4's glove compartment. Just this last weekend I came across the
beginnings of one with some nibbled/shredded bank deposit slips I had in
there, so I had to clean out the car. More than once I've gone into town
listening to alarmed squeaks coming from the glove compartment. Haven't
heard them on the return trips, so either they're enjoying being "city"
mice or didn't survive the ride.

We do put traps out in the garage, and I currently have a poison bait
device in the glove compartment. Our cats don't go outside and the dogs
don't spend time in the garage. I'd like to find something to make them
"shoo!", but I worry about Hanta virus, etc., so go with a direct
approach. When we had a problem with the flying squirrels chewing on the
house we tried all the deterrent sprays, etc., but nothing worked until
my husband very reluctantly shot one.

Cheers,
Pam

P.S.
Worst experience was with my old Honda CRV when they got into the AC
blower. I was on my way to the AMI/GNSI mtgs. in Bozeman in 2007, and
about an hour into the trip the AC began to make noise - later in the
day the smell started... Anyone else remember that heat wave? ;-)

On 10/21/14, 10:27 AM, Linda Feltner wrote:
> THanks, OC....
>
> Boy, someone could make a fortune coming up with a sure-fire
> deterrent. Necessity as mother of invention and all that.
>
> Ta
> Linda
> _____________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> P.O. Box 325
> Hereford, AZ 85615
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com <http://www.lindafeltner.com>
>

> On Oct 21, 2014, at 9:22 AM, OC Carlisle wrote:
>
>> Linda,
>>
>> Somewhere, there may be some solar power animal deterrents, one of
>> which my neighbor had for pesky squirrels & other varmints that
>> chewed many hoses in her car; cost $200. Not sure which one. Check
>> out solar animal deterrent. May take some research to find a good
>> product.
>>
>> Best,  “OC”
>>

>>> On Oct 21, 2014, at 12:08 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]
>>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> I am hoping to pick up my RAV4 at the dealership today. They've had
>>> the car for four days, de-nesting the dashboard. A mouse started
>>> building a winter home inside the car. The shredded insulation
>>> completely clogged the air conditioning vents. They had to remove
>>> the entire dash board and steering column. They said they took
>>> pictures. ha. I'll bet.
>>>
>>> Now, my issue is preventing their return from even getting in the
>>> car. I wondered if anyone had some deterrent remedies to share. I
>>> cannot put any stinky perfumes or moth balls inside the car. It will
>>> have to be under the car in the carport. I am asthmatic with perfumes.
>>>
>>> Someone has suggested spraying diluted peppermint oil on the
>>> concrete beneath the car. I'd have to contain the mothballs, because
>>> of the birds and dogs. I have to have a long-term solution, forever
>>> and ever.
>>> I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> Will need a very large glass of something and about a pound of
>>> chocolate when I get the bill, which they tell me is about $450.
>>> Little stinkers.
>>>
>>> ta
>>> Linda