'Tis the season and the deer mice here like to try to build their nests in my RAV4's glove compartment. Just this last weekend I came across the beginnings of one with some nibbled/shredded bank deposit slips I had in there, so I had to clean out the car. More than once I've gone into town listening to alarmed squeaks coming from the glove compartment. Haven't heard them on the return trips, so either they're enjoying being "city" mice or didn't survive the ride.

We do put traps out in the garage, and I currently have a poison bait device in the glove compartment. Our cats don't go outside and the dogs don't spend time in the garage. I'd like to find something to make them "shoo!", but I worry about Hanta virus, etc., so go with a direct approach. When we had a problem with the flying squirrels chewing on the house we tried all the deterrent sprays, etc., but nothing worked until my husband very reluctantly shot one.

Cheers,
Pam

P.S.
Worst experience was with my old Honda CRV when they got into the AC blower. I was on my way to the AMI/GNSI mtgs. in Bozeman in 2007, and about an hour into the trip the AC began to make noise - later in the day the smell started... Anyone else remember that heat wave? ;-)