When I had rats in my chicken coop, I bought mink urine from a company that sells stuff to trappers.  I sprayed it on the ground all around the outside of the building, up along the foundation.  It worked!  The worse part was that I got their catalog of disgusting stuff for a couple of years.  I also have a friend that lived in a log home and has problems with mice inside the logs that have channels for electrical wires.  The channels were fairly large and she had areas she could access them, so she would turn her ferret loose in there for awhile.  The ferret would have a great time, and would leave behind his essence that would keep the mice away for months.

Carie in Illinois