Thank you, OC:

I have used the Strathmore 400 Watercolor Paper as a student-grade paper for watercolor. Mostly I use it to clean and wipe brushes and to test color. I use the Bristol 500 for pen and ink in various plys.  But for w/c pencil the Strathmore 400 Watercolor paper has a hard sizing, and the colors of both Albrect Durer's and Derwent's hold the color on the surface and have nice brilliancy. Yes, I used both AD and Derwent's in my demo of w/c pencils at the conference. Both act differently, and each have their uses.

I've used every bit of paper I had, when I first investigated the realm of w/c pencils. I used Bristol hot plate, bristol vellum, hot press w/c paper, cold press w/c paper, Blick Studio, Fabriano Artistico, D'Arches. Every professional and student grade paper I had. Also Cason makes a student-grade w/c paper that professes to be rough on one side and cold-pressed on the other. It's an "ok" beginners w/c paper.
I took 4x6" or 5x7" paper or scraps, and did the same image over and over on all sorts of papers in order to compare. It was enlightening.

I like both hard and soft pencils. Sometimes I like the stroke marks to show, other times I want it to blend away. For a beginner's class I get a 12 pack of Derwents, and three Albrect Durer's (primary colors) just to show the difference in buttery feel vs. harder pigment.

I personally like the Derwent Graphitints. Not too keen on the Inktense, but can see where it has lots of uses. The colors are just stronger than I normally use. It becomes a personal preference.

Thanks!
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325