I have a cyber-friend who lives in Puerto Rico, and is a climate-change denier.  As I keep saying to him, it’s a luxury he can indulge in, but the higher the latitude you live in, the more difficult it becomes, because of the increasing means by which one can measure change…at least those of us of a certain age can.   In the highest latitudes the changes are most prominent.

But of course people have difficulty understanding trend dynamics.   This was a very cool summer here, following a terribly cold winter, and I have heard more than one person cite those facts as “proof” that fear of climate change is at least overblown, if not outright fraudulent.   But such fluctuation in local weather does not negate the overall trend.

The other problem in convincing people in denial about climate change is that the warmer it becomes…on average…the higher that average becomes.

And finally, again referencing those of us who are, shall we say, mature, we have all lived through dire predictions that did not materialize.

That should bring no comfort on the climate change issues, though, as most of those predictions were either superstition, and obviously so, or with regard to things that could be fixed.   But in balance, most dire predictions of bad things to come, such as decline in biodiversity, seem to fall somewhat short of reality.

The various graphics in this (and some of the other) films available via that website really do make the point.   And I think as artists we are well positioned not merely to do the mechanical work of showing things such as the to-scale superposition of Manhattan over a massively calving ice sheet, but to imagine what graphics might work…visual metaphors and similes, if you will.   Communication has never been more important, and art is a valuable form of communication of concepts not always otherwise apparent.   I had real trouble visualizing the scale of what we were seeing until that overlay appeared.

Barry

Barry Kent MacKay

Bird Artist, Illustrator

Studio: (905)-472-9731