Hi "OC"

There is an illustration of Asclepias incarnata  subsp. incarnata in
Shinners & Mahler's Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas that does shows
the root structure. It is fibrous. The source of the original illustration
is from:
Cornut, J.P. 1635 Canadensium plantarum, aliarumque nondum editarum
historia. Simon le Moyne. Paris.

You can access the above in Shinners & Mahler's book thru the publisherıs
site for free but it is not a very high res image but you can see the root
structure conformation.

Go to www.BRIT.org then to Publications then to BRIT Press. There you will
scoll down to bottom where you will see the book cover and how to access the
entire book online. You will find the illustration on page 279 top center of
page.

I am sending this page site to you herein below, but in case it does not
take you directly to the page, then follow my instructions above.
Good luck!

http://www.brit.org/sites/default/files/public/BRIT%20Press/IFNCT_Docs/FNCT_
0210-0617-Acanth-Euph.pdf

I am very familiar with this book, I was the creative & art director, book &
dust jacket designer and illustrator, and illustrator of 226 original
botanical line drawings. I was not the illustrator of the above mentioned
Asclepias however.....although I do sometimes feel like it, I was not around
to do this particular illustration in the year 1635!

All the best and congratulations on your soon gotten degree. Good luck on
your show!

Linny Heagy
DBA: Linny/Designer, Illustrator
Arlington, TX